by Rigzone Staff
Monday, April 09, 2018
The development of Ghazeer, the second phase of the giant Khazzan gas field in Oman, is approved.
BP plc announced Monday that, together with its partner Oman Oil Company Exploration & Production, it has approved the development of Ghazeer, the second phase of the giant Khazzan gas field in Oman.
The final investment decision (FID) for Ghazeer follows the successful start-up of Khazzan’s first phase of development in September 2017. This project, which started production ahead of schedule and under budget, is now producing at design capacity of around 1 billion cubic feet (bcf) of gas per day and around 35,000 barrels per day of condensate, BP revealed.
“Following the successful startup of Khazzan, we are pleased to announce the sanction of Ghazeer, BP’s first project FID of 2018,” Yousuf Al Ojaili, president of BP Oman, said in a company statement.
“Through the transfer of industry-leading skills and technology from BP’s global portfolio, we look forward to further developing this gas field that is expected to support Oman’s energy needs for many decades to come,” the BP president added.
Ghazeer is expected to come onstream in 2021 and deliver an additional 0.5 bcf of gas and over 15,000 barrels of condensate per day.
BP is the operator of Block 61, which contains the Khazzan field, holding a 60 percent interest. The Oman Oil Company Exploration & Production holds the remaining 40 percent interest.
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.