by Andreas Exarheas
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
A ‘major’ oil discovery has been made at the Ballymore prospect, located deep offshore in the US Gulf of Mexico.
Chevron Corporation announced Wednesday that a ‘major’ oil discovery has been made at the Ballymore prospect, located deep offshore in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico.
The Ballymore well reached a total measured depth of 29,194 feet and encountered more than 670 feet of net oil pay with ‘excellent’ reservoir and fluid characteristics, Chevron said in a statement on its website. A sidetrack well is currently being drilled to further assess the discovery, which is already deemed commercially viable.
“The Gulf of Mexico deepwater is an integral part of our company’s long-term strategy,” Jeff Shellebarger, president of Chevron North America Exploration and Production, said in a company statement.
“This discovery is an important addition to our portfolio, especially with its combination of size, quality and proximity to existing infrastructure,” he added.
Located approximately three miles from Chevron’s Blind Faith platform, the Ballymore prospect is situated in water depth of about 6,540 feet, 75 miles from the Louisiana coast, and covers four blocks in the Norphlet play.
Total, which acquired a 40 percent working interest in Ballymore as part of an exploration agreement with Chevron signed in September 2017, said it was thrilled to reveal its latest find.
— Total Press Office (@TotalPress) 31 January 2018
“This major discovery gives us access to large oil resources and follow on potential in the emerging Norphlet play,” Arnaud Breuillac, president of exploration and production at Total, said in a company statement.
Kevin McLachlan, senior vice president of exploration at Total, confirmed that Ballymore is the largest discovery by the company in the Gulf of Mexico.
Chevron subsidiary Chevron U.S.A. Inc. is the operator of the Ballymore prospect with a 60 percent working interest. Total E&P USA Inc. holds the remaining 40 percent stake.
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.